I recently purchased some cinnamon sugar pita crisps to satisfy my sweet and crunchy cravings. Sometimes I just want a small snack for a little pick-me-up in the afternoon. While the crisps were delicious, I figured I could make my own snack that would be healthier and cheaper. So, I set out trying to create a snack that would be similar to the pita crisps. I believe I found a perfect combination of sweet and crunchy with this easy to make snack. It only takes four ingredients and just a few minutes!
The crunch factor for this snack comes from plain rice cereal squares. I also melted some lite margarine and coated these little guys with it and added cinnamon sugar. Results: deliciousness. These were so easy to make yet really delicious. They hit the perfect spot for my mid-afternoon sweet snack. The cereal is the perfect base for these squares. Anyone can make these as well. No ovens required, just a microwave. You may want to double or triple this recipe because they are quite addictive to snack on. However, they are low in calories so you don’t have to feel as guilty as diving into pre-packaged cinnamon sugar snacks.
First, place the cereal in a large bowl. I used regular, plan rice chex cereal, but you can use a flavored one if you prefer.
Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a separate, small bowl. Melt the margarine and pour it over the cereal. Mix the cereal and margarine together until the cereal is completely coated.
Microwave the coated cereal for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Add the cinnamon sugar one half at a time, stirring extremely well between each addition. Microwave whole mixture again for 30 seconds. Pour on to prepared lined sheet or surface and spread out to cool.
This is the perfect sweet, crunchy snack when you are in need of one. The cinnamon and sugar stick to the cereal and “bake” right in to the cereal. Absolutely anyone can make this recipe with ease. You can also double the recipe for larger crowds or if you just really like cinnamon sugar chex mix (no judgement). I keep mine in zip lock baggies and they have stayed crunchy all week. This is one of those snacks that is perfect to keep on hand because it squashes the sweet and crunchy cravings.
Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix
Total calories: 860
Servings: 4 cups
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- ¼ cup lite margarine (butter or regular margarine are fine too)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Line a large baking sheet or a large surface with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Place cereal in a large bowl. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a separate, small bowl.
- Melt the margarine and pour over the cereal. Mix the cereal and margarine together until completely coated.
- Microwave the coated cereal for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Add the cinnamon sugar one half at a time, stirring extremely well between each addition. Microwave whole mixture again for 30 seconds. Pour on to prepared lined sheet and spread out to cool.