It’s no secret I love one pot meals. I’ve made quite a few on this blog because they are just too easy. It’s really easy to take traditional favorites and re-make them into one pot dishes. This post is no exception to that. Lasagna is one of my favorite Italian dishes. I’ve even made one on this blog. However, sometimes I don’t like layering the ingredients because I get lazy. This one pot lasagna fixes that challenge.
So this isn’t so much of a lasagna, as a lasagna-like dish. There are no lasagna noodles in this dish, actually. However, this tastes a lot like lasagna. It is saucy, cheesy, and very flavorful. If you want all the delicious flavors of a lasagna but don’t feel like making one, this will work perfectly. You can also throw some meat into this dish too if you prefer. With the tang of the sauce and the creaminess of the melting ricotta on top, I don’t think it needs anything else, but I’ll let you be the judge of that.
First, stir together the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, garlic powder and optional red pepper flakes in a large skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring the tomato sauce to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in pasta and water. Bring to a boil; cover, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in mozzarella and Parmesan until completely melted. Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, top with dollops of ricotta and cover until heated through, about 2-4 minutes.
This one pot lasagna is delicious. It requires far less work than a traditional lasagna, so it’s perfect when you don’t have the patience to layer one together. It also looks delicious with the dollops of ricotta on top. This dish was definitely devoured, and the leftovers are just as good. The sauce is creamy and flavorful as well. You could sub in any short noodles for this dish, but I love the “bow tie” appearance. It’s hard to fault a dish that comes together so easily and flawlessly in one pot. This is definitely a new staple for our house.
One Pot Lasagna
Total calories: 1,508
- 1-14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz farfalle pasta, dry
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- ½ cup part skim ricotta cheese (regular is fine too)
Optional: ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Stir together diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, garlic powder and optional red pepper flakes; season to taste with salt and pepper in a large skillet.
- Bring the tomato sauce to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in pasta and water. Bring to a boil; cover, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in mozzarella and Parmesan until completely melted. Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, top with dollops of ricotta and cover until heated through, about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve hot and top with optional fresh parsley if you desire.
You can add in meat to this lasagna if you want. You can use ground beef or Italian sausage for this. Just brown whatever meat you choose to use in the skillet before starting anything else. Once the meat is browned and drained, proceed with the directions in the recipe.