I love fast, easy to make dishes now more than ever since we’ve added to our family. I also love customization. As a vegetarian who is married to a non-vegetarian, it is key to have meals that we can customize to our own preferences. In this case, we went vegetarian on these crispy tostadas. However, you can easily add meat to these or more veggies. This dish is truly adaptable to whatever you feel like! Not to mention it only takes about 10-15 minutes from oven to table!
Since this is one of those recipes, the ingredient list below can fluctuate depending on how many people you intend to feed and what they like for toppings. I’ll provide the basic instructions and let you decide what to top the tostadas with and how many to make!
Servings: Depends on the amount of tortillas you use- use the amount of tortillas to guide how much food you need
- 1 package corn or flour tortillas (I used corn for these, however, flour tortillas would be delicious. If you use smaller tortillas keep in that in mind for the amount of ingredients you need for toppings)
- Nonstick cooking spray or oil to brush tortillas with
- 1 can refried beans (14.5oz can for around 10 smaller tortillas or 4-5 larger tortillas) Alternately, you could use black beans, drained and rinsed and mashed lightly with a fork.
- Shredded cheddar cheese to top (feel free to use pepperjack, Monterey cheddar, or other blend) Amount will vary depending on how much you love cheese
Topping ideas: salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, jalapeño, avocado, fresh tomatoes, sautéed onion and garlic, fresh lettuce, cooked chicken or taco meat, spices such as garlic powder or minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray both sides of the tortillas with the nonstick cooking spray or brush them with oil.
- Place oiled tortillas on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake the tortillas for about 5 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown. Turn over the tortillas and bake another 3-5 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and turn your broiler on to LOW.
- Warm up the black beans or refried beans in the microwave. Spread a layer of beans on each tortilla almost to the edges. Add as much cheese as you would like on to each tortilla (I used about an 1/8 cup each small corn tortilla)
- Place tostadas back on the baking sheet and return under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Watch carefully so the tortillas don’t burn!
- Add any additional toppings suggested above in the ingredients! Serve immediately so tostadas do not get soggy.