Sometimes fresh, simple ingredients make the best meals. You don’t have to throw together a lot of ingredients to make an impressive main to your meal. Take this delicious sandwich for example.
Fresh bread, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil pesto create an impressive caprese sandwich. Caprese is traditionally an Italian salad made from fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes. This sandwich combines those delicious caprese ingredients with fresh bread to form a perfect sandwich.
While caprese traditionally uses fresh basil, this sandwich goes the pesto route. The pesto on this sandwich adds moisture the way a sauce does to any other sandwich. You need this pesto. You will love this sandwich with the pesto. Feel free to use your own, or take a simpler route like I did and buy it pre-made.
The combination of the fresh pesto with the broiled tomatoes and gooey cheese is phenomenal. You really can’t go wrong with this sandwich, and it goes with just about any side dish you want. I’ve tried different breads with this and haven’t found one that doesn’t work.
Servings: As many sandwiches as you want! Adjust ingredients as necessary.
- 1 loaf french bread (Italian or sourdough are also delicious)
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 3 slices fresh ball mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3 tbsp basil pesto (homemade or store bought)
- Preheat oven to LOW Broil setting.
- Slice loaf in half lengthwise.
- Add mozzarella cheese slices and tomato slices along the bottom of the sandwich.
- Spread the pesto on the top of the sandwich.
- Place halves on a pan and place in oven under the broiler.
- Broil until crispy and cheese is melted.
- Remove, add the top, cut in half, and enjoy.
If you have a panini press or indoor grill, you can certainly press this sandwich instead of using the broiler. I have used this method, and it was very successful!